The Five-Part Bride (
The English version of Chapter 1 can be read for free at Kodansha Comic official site.
- Color Spread: All five Nakano Quintuplets in their school uniform: Ichika, Nino, Miku, Yotsuba, and Itsuki (counterclockwise)
- Color Page: A woman in a wedding dress holding a flower bouquet. The groom is partially shown in the background.
- Title Page: same as the Color Spread.
High academic scores, thrifty attitude, and a loner, Fuutarou Uesugi is that kind of guy. Because of his family's financial situation, he accepts a tutoring job with the promise of five times the normal pay. However, he is shocked to discover that the students that he will be tutoring are actually quintuplets: Itsuki, and the girls he met prior — Ichika, Nino, Miku, and Yotsuba.
- Fuutarou meets the Nakano Quintuplets.
- Fuutarou's family circumstances are revealed.
- Fuutarou meets The Bride during high school.[page 1]
- Fuutarou lives a frugal lifestyle. He also has a calculative mind.[page 4]
- Fuutarou prefers solitude, his classmate remark that Fuutarou is "by himself again".[page 5]
- Itsuki's prominent accessories are her two star-shaped hairpins.[page 6]
- Itsuki's polite speech and manner are first shown.[page 7][page 9]
- Itsuki cares a lot about eating manner.[page 10]
- Itsuki asks Fuutarou to tutor her, to which he rejects.[page 11]
- Fuutarou owns an older model Candy-bar phone.[page 15]
- Fuutarou's Dad is the one who found him a tutoring job.[page 15]
- Uesugi Family has a debt.[page 14]
- A rich family moved into the town recently.[page 15]
- Itsuki is a transfer student, and is assigned to the same class as Fuutarou.[page 18]
- Itsuki's former school is Kurobara Girls High School (Black Rose Girls School in the English version), an elite school typically attended by rich families.[page 18]
- Itsuki is noted to be "cute" by her classmates.[page 18]
- Ichika refers to her and other girls (who sit near Itsuki) as "pretty girls".[page 22]
- Ichika's prominent accessory is a single earring.[page 22]
- Ichika is able to deduce that Fuutarou is currently "targeting" Itsuki, just from a single glance.[page 23]
- Ichika calls Itsuki "Itsuki-chan".[page 23]
- Ichika has a bold personality; her usual clothing involves her cleavage being slightly shown.[page 23]
- Ichika labels Itsuki as someone "earnest/diligent".[page 23]
- Ichika's first impression of Fuutarou is that "he is a bookworm who doesn't have a girlfriend".[page 24]
- Ichika's "big sister" traits are first shown when she refers to herself as an "onee-san" to Fuutarou and tells him to consult her.[page 24]
- Yotsuba calls Fuutarou "Uesugi-san".[page 25]
- Yotsuba's prominent accessories are a green ribbon and a big tie.[page 25]
- Yotsuba's excellent eyesight and kind attitude is shown for the first time, she notices a test paper Fuutarou dropped and returns it to him.[page 27]
- Yotsuba's poor academic abilities are first hinted and shown, she gets a zero for a test.[page 27]
- Yotsuba's first impression of Fuutarou is "someone gloomy and doesn't have many friends".[page 28]
- Yotsuba's candid attitude is first shown; she asks Fuutarou to apologize by himself.[page 30]
- Yotsuba's good manner is first shown; she tells Fuutarou to say thank you to those who helped him.[page 29]
- Miku wears black stocking while Nino wears white stocking. This can be interpreted as the first indirect hint to their rivalry.[page 30]
- Miku's prominent accessory is a wireless headphone that has a triangle-shaped design on both sides. [page 32]
- Miku refers to Itsuki as "someone who is not her friend".[page 33]
- Miku and Nino call Itsuki as "Itsuki".[page 34]
- Nino's prominent accessories are twin butterfly-shaped ribbons.[page 34]
- Nino's aggressive traits are first shown and her protectiveness is first hinted. She directly confronts Fuutarou without hesitation.[page 35]
- Nino's first impression of Fuutarou is "someone persistent and not popular".[page 35]
- Itsuki (and the Nakano Quintuplets) lives on the 30th floor of a high-class apartment building.[page 42]
- Fuutarou's first impressions of the girls:
- Ichika: has eyes that seem to see right through you
- Yotsuba: simpleton
- Miku: can't get a read on
- Nino: self-righteous
- The building has a helipad on the rooftop.
- Itsuki, Nino, and Ichika wear a handbag, Yotsuba a sports bag, and Miku a ranzel.[page 45][page 46]
- Itsuki reveals that she and the other girls that Fuutarou met today are quintuplets.[page 48][page 49]
- The Bride is one of the Nakano Quintuplets.[page 50]
- Fuutarou refers to the day he met the Nakano Quintuplets as a nightmare.[page 52]
List of characters in order of their appearance :
- Fuutarou Uesugi (first appearance)
- The Bride (first appearance)
- Itsuki Nakano (first appearance)
- Raiha Uesugi (first appearance)
- Ichika Nakano (first appearance)
- Yotsuba Nakano (first appearance)
- Miku Nakano (first appearance)
- Nino Nakano (first appearance)
- "You say some manly things for a bookworm" - Ichika Nakano[page 23]
- "When someone picks up something for you, you say thank you!" - Yotsuba Nakano[page 29]
- "Having fun by yourself?" - Miku Nakano[page 29]
- "How persistent, you must be popular" - Nino Nakano[page 29]
- "No, we're quintuplet sisters" - Itsuki Nakano[page 45-46]
- This is the first chapter of Volume 1, and there is a scene of one of Nakano sister seeing a half-naked Fuutarou. In the last chapter of Volume 1, Chapter 5, Fuutarou sees a half-naked Nakano sister instead.
- The first few pages of the first chapter in the Second Year Saga, Chapter 1, is about Fuutarou and his bride in their wedding ceremony. The last few pages of the last chapter in the saga, Chapter 68, is also about Fuutarou and his bride in their wedding ceremony.
- Fuutarou makes a reference to Ninomiya Kinjirou, a prominent 19th-century Japanese agricultural leader, philosopher, moralist, and economist.
- Itsuki is the first Nakano Quintuplet to mention the "First Come, First Served" rule.
- Itsuki has a habit of placing both of her hands in front of her body throughout the series, which is first shown this chapter.
- Itsuki's running gag is about her gluttonous trait, which is emphasized several times in this chapter (various dishes for lunch, Fuutarou's insult, a second bread, and Nino's belly fat remark).
- Itsuki is the first Nakano to be introduced.[page 4]
- Ichika is the first Nakano whose hand is held by Fuutarou (technically, he touches Itsuki first).[page 24]
- Yotsuba is the first Nakano to see Fuutarou half-naked.[page 27]
- Itsuki is the first Nakano to get a "Kabedon" from Fuutarou.[page 41]
- One of the Author's trademarks, a panel focusing on shoes (and feet, by extension), is first shown in this chapter. Most of the time, they signify various intents or emotions. See Negi's Shoe Panel
- page 22: blocking path
- page 26: taking off shoes
- page 34: blocking path
- page 37: exerting power
- When Negi draws the Nakano Quintuplets together in one panel, they are positioned in a different order from time to time. See Nakano Quintuplets Formation
- page 46: Nino, Miku, Yotsuba, Itsuki, Ichika
- page 48: Ichika, Yotsuba, Itsuki, Miku, Nino
- page 52: Nino, Miku, Itsuki, Yotsuba, Ichika